Nishe’ has been in college almost 3 months now. She is doing amazing! I think she has adjusted well. I think I did too. It is really different not haven’t her at home. But we of course have no choice but to adjust. We can’t keep them in the nest forever. I knew college was going to be a wake up call for her but wasn’t expecting it to be a wake up call for me too. There are just some things that I wasn’t prepared for when she went to college. I thought I would share them with you:
- Not being as a part of her life as I used to be: When my daughter was home I was really involved in her life. I knew where she was, who she was talking to, and of course where she was. Now I have to adjust to being apart of the life she wants to share. It was an adjustment but I am realizing that it is needed. I throw myself into my kids and my family so I had to understand that boundary is needed.
- The hiccups along the way: I thought that once you filled out the application for financial aid your kid was in school and it was a done deal. But nope! We have had to talk to financial aid on a few occasions. All I can say is make sure you have everything taken care of. But even if you do some things might pop up.
- How much you miss them: I really miss my child. She has come home twice and I always get a little sad every time she leaves.
- How much they still need you: I thought that when kids went to college they would need you less. In actuality they need you more. They just you need you in different ways. They are learning different things and they need your guidance.
- The changes in her: She has become a different person in just a few months. I have had to realize she is not my little baby girl anymore she is an adult. I mean I always knew that but since she has been away I have had to realize even more. She is making her own decisions. Doing her own laundry. Just making her own decisions. She definitely isn’t the same girl who left here in August.
College is such a good thing for her. I am loving being apart of this new adventure of hers. I have been enjoying watching her grow and change. I just wasn’t ready for everything that came with it. I know it’s because I didn’t have the college experience. I think if I had I would’ve been better prepared. However I am enjoying this adventure.