I have no problem with admitting I am wrong and apologizing for the things that I have done. However lately I notice that I am apologizing for things that I shouldn’t even have to apologize for. I don’t know why but I just automatically say I am sorry for just about anything that make people feel bad. One day I found myself wondering why I do that. I think it is part of my people pleasing tendencies. I want people to feel good and be happy so if I think they feel bad I will apologize. So I decided that is something I need to change. I made a list of things that I will no longer apologize for.
- Being myself- I will no longer apologize for being myself, putting myself first, or making changes that are meant for me and no one else. I realized that many people do them quite often and they do it for them and it is okay. Anyone who is their true friend or family will support them in the changes that they need to make.
- Standing up for myself- I will no longer feel bad for speaking my mind or defending myself. I try to always be respectful in standing up for myself but I still often feel bad afterwards because I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. There are many things that I hold in because I don’t want to hurt someone but I know that they wouldn’t do the same for me.
- Things beyond my control- I will no longer apologize for things that happen beyond my control. I cannot control the things that happen. There are just some things you can’t control in life. There are some things that you would make move faster or slower. But hey you can’t control the way things go. I do however wish I had time machine sometimes.
- My feelings- I will no longer apologize for how I feel. I realize it’s okay for me to have feelings. I have them for a reason. I am entitled to my feelings and do not have to justify them.
- My honesty- It is okay for me to be honest. I don’t have to feel bad for being honest to someone. Especially if they ask for my opinion.
I am learning that I’m sorry is just as powerful a phrase as the words I love you. Everyone doesn’t deserve to hear it and it shouldn’t be used loosely. Certain things shouldn’t require to apology
Is there anything you will stop apologizing for?