Since going back to work I have had to relearn and adjust to some things. Being a stay at home mom for so long has been such a blessing. It has allowed me to be involved in my children’s lives as I have always wanted to be. It has been a bit of an adjustment to say the least. So I have been working on adjusting to those things. It also makes me feel a little guilty to not be able to do what I was once able to do. You know you just want to be able to do it all. But of course it isn’t possible. So I am forced to learn these things all over again. Here are some of the things I had to learn again:
- I can’t do everything. I knew this but when reality actually hit it was sad.
- Learning to trust again. My kids are older now so I have to trust that they can do things on their own. Without me always over their shoulders. Not that I was always over them but I was a little more hands on.
- Everyone isn’t going to do things my way. This is a big one for me because I have been doing things a certain way for years. So I have to change my way of thinking. My husband may not do laundry the way I do. I have to realize that sometimes it doesn’t matter as long as it gets done.
- Letting go. This is big for me because I have to let go of control of a lot of things that I used to have control over when I was home.
- Asking for help. Realizing that I can’t do it all sometimes mean asking for help. I really hate admitting that I can’t do something.
Ultimately I have to realize that all of us are transitioning and it will take time to figure things out but I know we will eventually get there. I didn’t think this was going to so hard. I thought that because my kids were older it would be an easier transition but it’s a whole new experience than when I worked when they were younger. I know it will all get better from here.