My daughter will be graduating next year. I still find it so weird to say that. I just can’t believe it. But I am trying to come to terms with it now so it will be easier to deal with then. As I think about it I am realizing there are some things that she needs to know before she goes. Well we have been teaching her but some things I want her to apply sooner than I did. My life was different from hers and since she is getting ready to experience college life on a different level than I did I want her to be prepared. There are 5 things that I think she should know before graduating high school. These are skills that I think are important. I really think all teenagers should know. It will really help them survive college and beyond:
- Budgeting: I think that budgeting is really important. A great way you can show kids how to do this is help them to save up for something they want like prom or a car.
- How to write a check: I know many people think that writing a check is ancient but I still think teenagers should know this simply because you never know when it might be necessary to do so.
- Saving Money: Show your teenager how to open a savings account and put some of their money away. I wish I had done better with this.
- Time management: Focusing on the important things and doing what you need to first is more important than that party. I am the queen of procrastination. Trust me this is really important.
- How to grocery shop: I try my best to show my kids how to save. When we go to the grocery store we talk about coupons and the price difference in products.
These are a few of the things that I hope my kids have learned from me. We are constantly talking about all of these subjects and have had them practice a few things. Especially budgeting which are always working on. There is always room for improvement on anything. I just really want them to make great decisions. I wish I had learned some of these when I was younger.
What lessons do you want your child to learn before they graduate?