It took me almost 10 years to find a job. During that time I thought I was going to go crazy. I had some ups and downs. I can admit that during some of my time of job hunting I was not at my best. I was not the best mom or wife I could be. After awhile I decided it was time to stop sitting in my disappointment and keep myself busy while I waited for my time to come. I had to live while waiting for my opportunity. Here are some things that I did while I was waiting to find the perfect employment for me:
- Go back to school/take a class to improve on your skills in the area where you want to work or just learn something new. I went back to school to get a degree in business administration. I thought I wanted to medical billing and coding but I prefer to work with kids.
- Spend time with your family.
- Have someone review your resume to see what you can do to improve it.
- Focus on yourself
- Volunteer. I volunteered at my kids’ school whenever I could.
- Join a gym or a mom’s group.
I did some of these things and it kept me busy and not worrying about finding a job. Yes I still wanted but it wasn’t all that I focused on. It kept me from getting depressed about not finding an employment in the time frame that I wanted to. It also made waiting more enjoyable. But the important thing is don’t get so hung up on looking for employment that you forget to enjoy life. Yes income is important but you can’t rush it. This is something that I had to remember.