It is really exciting when your child gets their first job. I was excited when Nishe’ got her first job. I’ll be excited when Tyler gets his. But with Nishe’ I forgot to have a talk about things she needs to do when se starts her new job. We of course told her she needed a bank account but there were some other things that she needed to know that I felt she needed to know that I have since told her.
Here is what I told her:
- Ask how much you make: Every teenager needs to know how much they earn when they get hired. It’s okay to ask.
- Start a bank account: I said this in my introduction but every teenager should know to start a bank account when they get their first job if they don’t have one already.
- Create a budget: Teenagers should know that they need to calculate their expenses like their cell phone bill, their transportation to work, and things that they want to buy.
- Keep track of their hours: Teenagers should definitely know to keep track of their hours. Sometimes mistakes are made.
- Know how often you get paid: Let your kids know that it’s okay to ask questions. Finding out how often you get paid is very important.
- Pay Rate: Everyone should know how much they get paid. Tell your teen that it’s okay to ask once they are offered the job
Your teen might be so excited to be working that they may not think of these things or remember them. So you may have to remind them a time or two or three or more. They may not like you constantly reminding them but they will appreciate it when they are older.