Today marked the start of yet another school year. No more sleeping in and no more lazy days. I actually dreaded hearing my alarm go off this morning. I so was not ready to get back on the normal routine. Yet I know in order for my kids to be successful in life they have to go to school. I swear it seems just like yesterday I was sending them off to their first day of pre-k. Now they are almost taller than me and have their own thoughts and opinions. Today was my son’s first day of high school and this morning made me realize my daughter will be done with school next year. I am so not ready. But I have vowed to take this thing one day at a time because I can only deal with so much. I have 5 things that I wish that my kids will do this year.
- I hope that they challenge themselves. I want them to know that it is okay to step out of their boxes every once in a while. I know it may seem scary sometimes. But they will never know what they are capable of unless they do it. I am just now learning this lesson myself. I wish that I had challenged myself sooner. There is nothing wrong with trying something new.
- I want them to be secure and comfortable in who they are. I want them to know that it is okay to continue to be who they are. It is okay if people don’t like or accept them for who they are. I feel like those who can’t accept them aren’t the ones they need to be around anyway. They can change what they want to and only what they deem is necessary.
- I want them to have fun. There is nothing wrong with having some fun. They need to stay focused but at the same time they need to take a minute ever so often and enjoy themselves. I hope they can find the perfect balance of both. School work first and fun second but if they can have fun while learning I am okay with that too.
- I want them to stay focused. I need them to stay focused on the important things. Because if they lose focus they can end up where they don’t want to be.
- I also need them to make good decisions. Their decisions determine which way their life goes. So I need them to make the decisions that best suits them. Also they need to know that no matter what their decisions are I will love them no matter what and only they will have to deal with the results.
- The Final thing I want them to know is that they can come talk to their dad and I no matter what. We are their listening ear whenever they need it.
I’m not ready for them to grow up but I know they have to. I love the people that they are becoming and I can’t wait to see who they become. I feel like they are going to become very important people but they will always be important to me. I hope they have an amazing school year this year. In the mean time I will cherish the memories we create like these: