Last year I became the mom of a teen and later this year I will be the mom of two teens. One thing I remember from being a teen is having a hard time approaching my parents about certain subjects. Mainly about boys and sex. However my parents always made it possible for me to come to them and ask them questions. Of course it was always awkward but it was important for me to ask those questions. That’s the type of relationship I want with my kids. I want them to know that they can talk to me about anything. I have discovered that there are certain situations that my kids are comfortable talking to me in and I thought that I would share them with you.
1. Go for a walk: My kids seem to be really comfortable talking to me on the way to the bus stop or just for a walk in general.
2. Do a date night. Being a mom of two I know that both my kids love having me to themselves sometimes. They get to express the problems that they are having with school, their sibling, or just share their thoughts.
3. Participate in their favorite thing. My kids love video games. I have found it a great opportunity to talk to them then. They are doing something they like and are relaxed.
4. Now this I haven’t tried yet but I heard it works. Create a message box. That way your child can comfortably ask a question without being embarrassed.
5. Play a game and cook. Sometimes we play 20 questions and we are able to ask each other anything.
6. Just ask how is your day.
7. Watch a movie that focuses on the subject that you want to approach with your teen and then ask questions either during or after. Make it a fun movie night with your child’s favorite snacks,
8. Make conversation during a meal. It can be breakfast lunch or dinner.
I hope these tips help. I know they have helped me. Do you have any tips to add?