I am now 36 years old. Although I have owned the number I don’t think I have really embraced what that means. It means that my body is also changing. Things that I used to do in my 20’s I can’t do now. Actually if I’m honest my body was changing before then but I really wasn’t listening. I am learning things that I could eat even a year ago I can’t eat or have that much of now. For example milk. I love milk but it does not love me. Now occasionally I can have some milk like ice cream every now and then but because it is so hit or miss I usually avoid it. I am either going to be constipated or get diarrhea. Which means either way the bathroom and I are on a date.
I have recently decided to cut back on how much soda I drink. I have started to drink more water. I have always drank water but I am learning that I need more of it. This decision was made because I am noticing my energy levels when I don’t drink enough. Last week I just felt completely off an my energy just wasn’t high enough. I also wasn’t eating like I should. I was skipping breakfast, lunch, and dinner on many days. So I am just not doing what I should. My body is letting me know that even though it wasn’t healthy to do in the first place I definitely can’t be pulling that in my 30’s. I need to step up and take even better care of myself than I was before. I have noticed that since I have been drinking more water my energy level is much better than it was. My skin is a little more shiny because I am nourishing it. So far my body has taught me:
- I need more vegetables
- I of course need to be more active. (The pounds aren’t going to just melt away on their own.)
- I can’t eat what I want. So yeah that ice cream that I love sometimes I can have it and sometimes I can’t. Basically eat at your own risk. ( This actually changed before my 30’s. After I had kids.)
- Get more sleep. Definitely get more sleep.
- No liquids after 9. ( Yeah I know I’m not the only one dealing with this.)
- Staying up late is 10:30. (Ha ha ha! Sometimes I can stay up later but yeah my bedtime is usually around 10:30 or 11. )
- I need to listen to my body more. It will tell me what I need to know.
As I near 40 I want to age gracefully and not do myself more harm than good. So I will make the changes that I need to.
What are some of the things your body has been telling you?