Before I begin this is not a sponsored post. This coronavirus quarantine really has me bored at home. I’ll be honest I have been still going out but just walking and to the store. I sanitize my hands as often as possible, wear my mask, and social distance. If you follow me on Instagram then you know those are the things I’ve been up to. But I want to come out of this questions and have accomplished something. So I set out to find a project to do at home.
The project I settled on was redoing the living room floor. We have been in our home for 15 years. It was time to do it. Only thing is I didn’t really want to pay anyone to do it. That’s the easy way out. I mean I put some serious thought into it and decided that I wanted to try to do the floor myself. I enlisted the help of my son Tyler.
I knew I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on this project. Last time we got a quote for doing our flooring we were quoted a little over $800. My goal was to do it for under that. I knew I didn’t want to spend more than $400. Definitely not $800. I headed to the Home Depot website to see what I could find. I knew I wanted to do peel & stick tile so I went to see what kind of flooring I could find. I found Chaucer tile which was $0.42 per square but in a box it was $18.90 per case. I got 8 cases the first time. One thing I love about Home Depot is if they run out of something or don’t have it they will refund your money. So I only got 4 cases because they didn’t have 8. So I got refunded for the other 4 boxes. We wound up having to go back and get more adhesive. Because uhm… the one we first got was way smaller than we thought it was. It was a one quart container. We also had to go back and get more tiles since they didn’t give us all the ones we needed. What I love about going to Home Depot is that the employees are very helpful. They helped us find the things that we needed. It was suggested that we use spray adhesive. So we tried that until we ran out and then decided to go back to regular flooring adhesive.
This project was really easy to do. We just did the following things
- We measured the living room to determine the number of cases of tiles we needed.
- We swept the floor to clear it off any dust or trash that could be on the floor z
- We applied adhesive to each area that we wanted to lay tile on. We decided to go square by square.
- We laid down each tile.
- For areas near the wall we actually cut the tile to fit.
- After we finished we waited 48 hours for it to dry and then mopped the floor. It was pretty sticky when we finished.
The whole project took us about 3 weeks to do. Tyler and I worked on it as often as we could. The biggest obstacle was my work schedule. I would come home and we would do as much as wet could do. We also did it in sections giving each section time to dry. YouTube videos really helped out a lot. We went there to find out exactly how to do it. In the end we loved the results.
I have to tell you I rather enjoyed this time with Tyler. We would listen to music, talk, or just be silent. We couldn’t wait to see the results of our hard work so we kept at it. We really worked well together. In the end we wound up with an amazing looking floor. I honestly didn’t think it would turn out as well as it did. What makes this project even better than us doing it ourselves is the fact that we saved about $400. The project was a total of $389.