When I started working at my job just two years ago it had been almost ten years since I had a job. Just weeks prior I almost took a job that I absolutely didn’t want. That job was in the fast food industry. But that day didn’t go as planned at all. The only job that I had where I lasted more than a year was at another restaurant. So I knew that I didn’t want to work in food. I knew that I wanted to work with children. At the time this job showed up I was pep talking myself into applying to jobs that I just didn’t want. I knew that I needed a job and my family needed the extra income. So I was ready to just get the job I needed. I was ready to give up. Then a family member reached out and told me that my current job was hiring. She then told me that she recommended me for the job. I found out that the job was an afterschool program for kids. I was super excited cause I just dreamed of working with kids. Since I didn’t go for my teaching degree as I planned I knew this was the next best thing. I never knew how much this job would change my life. So this Self Love Monday I am congratulating myself for making it 2 years at my job. When I got this job I was no where near the person I am now. I was not confident, I had low self esteem, and I had a bunch of self doubt. I didn’t even know if I would do a great job at my job. Well I was in the process of improving those things. I knew I needed to find a job because it was just time for me to do something. My kids were both old enough and needed me less. plus after looking for job for almost 10 years and not finding anything I was almost ready to just give up. When this job came it was such a life saver. It has done more for me than I can imagine. I am so blessed to do something that I love to do. It has helped me grow in so many ways. I feel like I have a purpose again. Well another purpose. I love being a mom and wife but now I feel like I have even more of a purpose. I have become close with so many of the kids at my job. I think the biggest thing that changed for me is feeling like I a contributing to my household. The first year I was trying to figure out how to handle so many kids and personalities. Now I have kind of figured out what works for me and my class now I’m trying to figure out how to keep it going. It’s different classes and different personalities but now I’m trying not to let that shake me. I a much stronger and confident than I was when I first started. I have seen how much I’ve grown in all areas of my life. I can tell I’ve changed. Here are a few things that have changed in me.
- I am more confident. I feel like my confidence went up a little bit. Being able to contribute to household and to be able to take care of myself as well has made me much happier.
- I am able to voice my needs better. As my confidence built I started to realize that I deserve better in many areas of my life and I could get it if I spoke up. So I started doing it.
- It gives me a purpose. y job has given me such a purpose. When your kids grow up and need you less you have to give yourself your own purpose.
- I take better care of myself. It allows me to do more self care. I needed this job for me. I needed to get out of the house. I needed the extra money to do more self care.
- My self esteem has definitely gone up. I feel better. Knowing that I am contributing to my household with income has made me feel so much better about myself.
- I am healthier. Since I am not just sitting in the house all day I am motivated to do other things besides just mope. I am a person who needs something to do or I will go insane.
This job is really motivating me to be a better me. I am doing something that makes me happy and it is giving me the motivation to do better in other areas of my life. I hope to continue to improve. I am loving looking in the mirror and seeing me being happier. Doing something that makes you happy will change your life.