As I begin to focus on myself more I am learning that one of the things that I have to do is learn to set boundaries. I mean. I have boundaries but I don’t really enforce them. I am learning to set them and enforce them. I am a bit of a push over at times when it comes to people saying and doing things that I don’t like. I can tell everyone else about it no one else. So I have come to realize that they are important. Here is how having boundaries help you.
- They teach people how you want to be treated.
- They let people know what you won’t stand for.
- They allow you to learn what kind of people to associate yourself with.
Because I have struggled with this I have had some experiences that I don’t think I would have had if I had stood stronger in my beliefs. I believe because I didn’t say no to certain things and yes to others I have had some negative experiences. Although I learned from those experiences I wish I had set those boundaries before those experiences. But I am taking steps to learn how to set up boundaries. Here is what I am doing:
- I am saying no to what I don’t want to do or what doesn’t make me feel comfortable.
- Speaking up when something bothers me.
- Associating myself with people who respect me.
- Learning from the times that I didn’t respect my own boundaries.
The only way to make time for yourself and put yourself first is to create boundaries that you and others respect. If you don’t how can you expect for others to respect you. So I am learning to this for myself.