I was just sitting here trying my best to think of what I could possibly write about today. I didn’t write anything yesterday. Immediately my mind started racing and thinking about what could happen if I didn’t post anything today at all. That led to my usual mind racing and pressuring myself to write something. It was all down hill from there. I started panicking and thinking of everything that could possibly go wrong. Then I suddenly just stopped. I realized that I needed a break. Sitting here panicking wasn’t doing me any good so I decided to get up and do some yoga. I did about thirty minutes of yoga. When I finished I just felt so relaxed. Stepping away did some good. Exercising made me feel even better. So I thought that I would share some other techniques that might help for people like me:
- I already mentioned one. Exercise find an exercise that you enjoy and step away from whatever you are doing and do it.
- Take deep breaths. Sometimes this helps me. I’ll take a few deep breaths and count to ten.
- Lay down or lay your head on your desk for a few minutes.
- Take a walk if possible.
- Let yourself off the hook. Tell yourself it’s okay. That if you don’t get whatever task done at that moment you can always come back to it. Especially if there is no deadline
- Another great thing I find that works is listening to some music with my headphones in. That way I am focused on the music and not my thoughts.
I am no expert. I just know these things work for me. What do you do to slow your brain down?